30 wks epidural or not to epidural..??

HOME Hot Topics Girl Zone Pregnancy Questions and Symptoms 30 wks epidural or not to epidural..??

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated by .
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    britneybee

im 30 wks and i was just woundering if neone has ne advice on epidurals or recomendation for pain meds im scared of needles but can tollerate them dose it hurt ect :ermm:

Mommytwice

Trust me honey, you want the epidural. I was horrified to get one and said that I would never do it, but, the labor pains were far worse then I ever imagined, and the epidural didn’t even hurt, well, it did twinge a little, but it didn’t even feel like anything compared to the contractions. Plus, you don’t really see the needle, it’s behind you the whole time. Believe me, you’ll want it.

Good Luck,
        Michelle

Kit

Britney,

I had my first child Aidan about 6 weeks ago. I wasn’t sure what to expect about labor and pain as well. I went into labor with the attitude that I would go into labor without an epidural or pain meds, but if the pain got too intense or the doctor recommended them I wouldn’t rule them out.

Overall labor for me was easier than I had imagined it would be. That’s not to say that it doesn’t involve pain, because quite frankly it is pretty painful, but it was a lot more managable than I had anticipated. I started having mild contractions around 6 pm on feb 12. By 1:00 they had gotten stronger and closer so we headed to the hospital. Labor progressed fairly quickly until it stalled at about seven centimeters. They decided to give me oxytocin to make the contractions harder and faster and hopefully speed up the labor. Well it made the contractions much much faster and more intense but it wasn’t making me dialate faster which was frustrating!!!! Also I felt the overwhelming urge to push with the contractions, but was told not to. The doctor recommended that I be given an epidural. At that point I thought that en epidural sounded pretty good and I didn’t object too much. However it took the anesthesiologist about 30-45 minutes to arrive. Before the gave the epidural they checked for progress and I had dialated to 9 centimeters so they decided NOT to do the epidural and decided to let me start pushing. Aidan was born probably an hour later (maybe less) at 12:03 pm on Feb 13th without an epidural or any pain meds!

The pain is not constant. It comes in waves with contractions. If it were constant it would probably be unbearable, but in bursts it is more manageable. Have you taken a lamaze class? The breathing techniques really did help. I don’t know if you are a Christian or believe in God, but although it may sound corny in my head during labor I prayed for God to help me through and reminded myself that I was strong because God was at my side giving me strength.

Each person is different and each delivery is different. Listen to your doctor and listen to your own body. I don’t know if this helps, but you will make it through and when you get to hold your baby the pain will be worth it. Good luck!

Kate

JCSTLMAC03

HEY BRIT DON’T EVEN WORRY ABOUT THE NEEDLES, THE PAIN THT U WILL EXPERIENCE WHILE BEING IN LAOR WILL TAKE UR MIND COMPLETELY OFF OF THE NEEDLE . WHEN I SAY PAIN IT’S NOT 2 SCARE U BUT IT WILL BE ALOT OF DISCOMFORT. AND I PROMISE YOU WILL NOT BE WORRIED ABOUT THE NEEDLE, IT’S JUST ALITTLE STICK. WHAT HELPED ME IS MY COUSIN SHE HELD MY HAND AND TALKED TO ME TO TAKE MY MIND OFF OF THE THOUGHT OF THE NEEDLE. I’LL NEVER FORGET IT SHE TOLD ME 2 SAY 123 OUCH! AND SURELY IT WS OVER JUST LIKE THAT AND THE SOONER U GET IT THE HAPPIER YOU WILL FEEL(NO MORE DISCOMFORT). REMEMBER MOST OF ALL ONCE YOUR BABY COMES WHEN U LOOK AT HIM/HER U’LL 4GET ABOUT EVERYTHING BECAUSE YOUR BLESING IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

it is THE most incredible thing! i couldnt move-the contractions made my whole body tense up, so they tell you not to move but for me that was noooo problem! i didnt even feel the needle go in! all i felt was a sensation like cold water was being poured down my back-which was wonderful and i welcomed it and then nothing! one nurse dropped my leg off the table and my boyfriend had to pick it up! absolutly marvolous!

a little note tho-i pushed for 3 hours and after like the first 45 mintues they turned it down cuz they thought i wasnt pushing hard enough because i couldnt feel anything-really she was just a massive baby, but be prepared for that to happen! :blink:

Anonymous

Hi Brittney, I’d go for the epidural. I had my first baby without and it was pain like I can’t describe! Since then, I’ve had 4 more babies! And with each I’ve had epidurals and really enjoyed my labors. I’ve napped, and been relaxed while pushing the baby out. My labors usually only take 5 hours or so, and I push for about 15 minutes, so the epidural doesn’t slow anything down. They give you an initial small shot in your lower back to numb the area. After that you don’t feel much, just some pressure and a little pain – but minor. It’s worth it in my book, but others may have other opinions! Oh – and my babies came out perfectly healthy and screaming loudly. There was no lethargy whatsoever. Have a great delivery. Your baby is a precious gift.

Anonymous

I am 26 years old I am pregnant with my 7th baby I have had 3 epidurals
                  this is what it feels like if you have long nails pinch your back till it hurts you thats what it feels like and that is only the 1st needle that numbs the area
                  the worse part I think is the doc that is pushing on your back to find the epidural spot thats the most uncomfortable thing and having to lean forward but soon as it is done in a matter of 5 mins its so worth it because you feel no pain at all if the epidural is put in wrong then you feel all the pain I had one where I felt everthing and my left leg was only numb that sucked
                  if you have any more pregnancy questions email me I am a nurse and I know alot about this subject I was also a 16 year old 1st time scared mom so please any scared teens contact me my name is Jessica I live in Boise, ID if you need any help please email me
                  and good luck with your pregnancy!

Jonluver

You can probably get through labor without it but when it comes time to push you’ll be compeltly drained! Thats what happened to my sisters best friend.
                    she was so exusted when came time to push that she couldn’t and ended up with an emergency csection!
                    i got the epidural ASAP!! As soon as i got to my room they ordered my epidural. I slept through my whole labor!!! i pushed her out under an hour. I wasn;t tired afterwards and spent the whole day bonding with her. I was so alert during delivery i got to pull her out myself! i wouldn’t have changed it for the world! It was so amazing! I will defintly be getting it next time. Did i say "next time?" :blink: lol!!!

LexisMom

When i had my daughter i was dialated 9.5 b4 i got the epidural. i promised i wouldnt do it b/c i wanted to feel everything just for the fact that giving life is the most precious thing in the world. I was forced to have the epidural. one thing i would recommend that worked for me is if you have lamaze classes available take them and really pay attention. some people say they didnt work but they worked wanders for me. i wouldnt suggest the epidural but if you cant handle pain and dont know what to do to take your mind off ofit then have it other wise i dont suggest it!

Kandi

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • The forum ‘Pregnancy Questions and Symptoms’ is closed to new topics and replies.