Welcome - Login and Forum Rules

Our forum is open to Registered Members to post. Please register for more forum features available to you. If you are an existing member please login and click on the category title to post. All content in this Forum, as well as the entire site, will be moderated. This means that anything written will not be posted right away but will first have to pass an approval process. This usually does not take more than 1 to 2 days if not sooner. Not everything that is written will be published on this site. We do not tolerate foul language or obscene imagery. Please keep this in mind when posting. Please limit the size of your post to 500 characters or less.

Can I Eat This?!

More
11 years 4 days ago #1 by Opanayiko
Opanayiko replied the topic: Re:Can I Eat This?!
I'm pretty thankful to be a vegetarian and just not have to worry about a lot of it, which doesn't protect me obviously, I've been craving brie and feta since the start and just pout! :D I had heard vaguely of listeria in the beginning of my pregnancy, and accidentally was watching something on The Learning Channel about this woman losing her baby because of it. The risks may be low, but it's still scary. She went into labor and was just bleeding everywhere on a ferry, I felt so awful for her. I just don't like to take chances, now that I've fought this hard for my child, and completely relocated again, I want a healthy happy baby!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #2 by Kaileyamanda
Kaileyamanda replied the topic: Re:Can I Eat This?!
you have the same chance of encountering bacteria from foods while you are pregnant as you do when you arent. however, like the post before says, you should just be careful eating things while you are pregnant where you may not have considered doing so before.

As for asking for clarification on what you can or cant eat... everything is really low risk if they didnt tell you. I brought up chinese food b/c it has MSG (i think thats the letters....pregnancy brain) but so do some places like zaxbys and places that serve chicken or meat mainly. Its just to preserve the food better and not used always and you can request food without it.

All in all just wash ALL fruits and veggies extra well and i guess reheat meat tho i never knew that- might help me this last week i guess haha

they say stay away from soft cheeses and a lot of dairy stuff but its okay as long as you make sure its pasturized.

Pretty much- dont eat anything that doesnt plainly say its been checked really well!

Dont worry so much- if you havent had a problem with eating things not mentioned by your DR all your life what are the chances you will in the 9 months you are pregnant JUST FOLLOW DR's INSTRUCTIONS and ASK THEM!

More
11 years 1 week ago #3 by i_love_justin
i_love_justin replied the topic: Re:Can I Eat This?!
Well that is just CRAZY. Oh well, no more Turkey Sandwiches for me. The doctors, and everyone else never told me any of this..you would think they would, so it would be safer..Thanks!

More
11 years 1 week ago #4 by Opanayiko
Opanayiko replied the topic: Re:Can I Eat This?!
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html

What is Listeria?

Listeria monocytogenes is a type of bacteria that is found in water and soil. Vegetables can become contaminated from the soil, and animals can also be carriers. Listeria has been found in uncooked meats, uncooked vegetables, unpasteurized milk, foods from unpasteurized milk and processed foods. Listeria is killed by pasteurization and cooking. There is a chance that contamination may occur in ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs and deli meats because contamination may occur after cooking and before packaging.

Can Listeriosis harm my baby?

If you are pregnant and are infected with Listeriosis, you could experience:

* Miscarriage
* Premature delivery
* Infection to the newborn
* Death to the newborn (only 22% of cases with perinatal Listeriosis result in stillbirth or neonatal death)

Early treatment may prevent fetal infection and fetal death.

Do not eat hot dogs, luncheon meats or deli meats unless they are properly reheated to steaming (or 160 F): Eating out at certain restaurants that provide deli meat sandwiches such as Subway is not recommended for pregnant women since they do not reheat their deli meats. Therefore Subway recommends that pregnant women eat non-luncheon meat items such as meatball, steak & cheese, roasted chicken, seafood & crab and tuna (limit 2 servings a week).

Do not eat refrigerated pates or meat spreads.

Do not eat refrigerated smoked seafood unless it is contained in a cooked dish, such as a casserole.

There is more on the site concerning safe food handling.

• Maria
11 years 1 week ago #5 by Maria
Maria replied the topic: Re:Can I Eat This?!
Hi concerned to read these threads on what not to eat as those mentioned have not been told to me by my clinic! They have just told me the obvious like unpastuerised cheese, shellfish, eggs that are not hard boiled, meat that is not thoroughly cooked. I have never heard of not eating cold cuts of meat and chinese food! Can someone please clarify. Thanks.

More
11 years 1 week ago #6 by Kaileyamanda
Kaileyamanda replied the topic: Re:Can I Eat This?!
ive never heard of that- if the meat is unhealthy then they wouldnt be able to sell it. It's already cooked and as long as its within a 2 week period after you bought it then it should be fine!! theres not so many things that you cant eat- theres always loop holes. Like they say no chinese food but you can order it without the chemicals and its fine. You'll be fine!

Kailey
39 weeks

Moderators: Dnash76sugMolly

Need Help?

standupgirl contact becky

standupgirl app

Translate Our Page

enes

StandUpGirl Login

Welcome to StandUpGirl