Welcome - Login and Forum Rules

Our forum is open to Registered Members to post. Please register for more forum features available to you. If you are an existing member please login and click on the category title to post. All content in this Forum, as well as the entire site, will be moderated. This means that anything written will not be posted right away but will first have to pass an approval process. This usually does not take more than 1 to 2 days if not sooner. Not everything that is written will be published on this site. We do not tolerate foul language or obscene imagery. Please keep this in mind when posting. Please limit the size of your post to 500 characters or less.

Planning

More
11 years 1 month ago #1 by *haley*
*haley* replied the topic: Re:Planning
hey i think teenage mothers are the most strong people out there.... its your decision hun.... if you think you can handle it and you have things planned out then good for you but realize it can be hard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sara
11 years 4 months ago #2 by sara
sara replied the topic: Re:Planning
While I applaud you for planning ahead and thinking about everything I still can not tell you that this is a good idea. I know you said you changed your mind and for that I am grateful. Have you thought about what you would do if your baby was disabled physically or mentally? Have you thought about whether your mother would really be willing to raise your child? What kind of job can you get at 16? When I was 16 I was working in a fast food restaurant. I made less than $6.00 an hour. I'm now 21 with a 15 month old and I work in the Nondestructive Testing field. I have benefits and a good pay. My boyfriend has a union job and makes excellent money. Yet, I never seem to have enough to make ends meet. I just paid off my credit card after nearly two years. Diapers are somewhere between $10-15 per pack and I need 2-3 packs per week. Formula is $20+ per can and I go through a can every 2-3 days. Now that my daughter is on milk I go through a 3 gallons a week at $2 per gallon. Once your child starts eating real food your looking at 4-5 jars of baby food a day at $0.50 a jar plus juice and snacks. Baby's constantly ruin or outgrow their clothes. At $8 per outfit and 2-3 outfits needed per day that can add up quick. My daughter ruins at least one outfit per week. Medical bills add up quickly. A single doctor visit can cost over $100 if you don't have great insurance. A carseat can cost $50 or more. A crib is usually at least $100 and you can't get used carseats and cribs because it is too dangerous. Baby blankets cost $5-10 each and crib sheets are about the same. A crib mattress is around $20. A swing and bouncer seat are about $20 each. An exersaucer or jumparoo can cost upwards of $50. A baby tub is around $10. Then you have to buy baby wash and baby oil and powder and diaper rash cream. You need baby towels and baby washcloths. Baby's clothes require a special non-allergenic detergent which costs $15 for a small bottle. Bottles and pacifiers will need replaced often. Nipples will be chewed and ruined. Sippy cups can cost anywhere from $1-5 each. You need baby nail clippers and scratch mits and booties and hats. Baby monitors are a minimum of $20 per set. A playpen can cost $50+. Add in a changing table and a dresser or chest of drawers to store baby's items in and your looking at well over $1000 in things before baby is even born. Maternity costs without insurance can exceed $10,000. And this is all if you are blessed with a healthy and uneventful pregnancy, delivery, and baby. Please everyone think very hard about what you are willing to give up before you decide to get pregnant. Time and money are two things you will never have enough of again.

More
11 years 6 months ago #3 by Jonluver
Jonluver replied the topic: Re:Planning
Having a baby is huge responsiblity! Yes it is very rewarding bu your gonna miss out on so much. I'm 19 and my daughter is 7 weeks old. I never thought about how much my life would change after i had her. I just thought, \"oh i'm having a baby! How wonderful.\" Now i'm not saying i don't love my daughter, trust me i love her more than anything else! With that said, I just feel like i'm missing out on so much. I watch my friends go out and party and i can't do that. They all live at home and have nice cars and clothes. I have rent, bills, diapers, gas, food, car payments, medical bills, etc to pay for. After paying all this i don't have money leftover to buy a new pair of jeans or go see a movie.
And you should see my body. Not cute. I have horrible strech marks all over my stomach, hips, thighs, lower back and boobs!
i can't just get up a leave my house whenever i want to anymore. It takes me about an hour to get everything all packed and get her in the car.
After you have a baby you look at life in a whole new way. You only get one! You might be happy now but years from now, maybe your kid is a teenager and you see him/her going out with their friends and going on trips you're gonna realise you never got to do any of that stuff. You can't go back in time and do it again. Once these years are gone, they're gone. You'll never get them back.

...[IMG] [IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

• SHakyra
11 years 9 months ago #4 by SHakyra
SHakyra replied the topic: Re:Planning
OK...let me say this. You seem like a very intelligent young woman. But however even though it seems as if you have everything worked out you, but you really dont. Yeah its really fun on the outside looking in but being a mom is truly hard work. I am a 24 year old married mother of twins. It is not guaranteed that you will only have one baby at a time so that is one thing you need to worry about. At 16 years old what job can you get. Is it enough to pay rent, daycare, car expenses, medical bills, food, diapers, baby food, and the list just goes on. Yeah you say that your mom will help but for how long. I think that you are just excited about a baby. Try babysitting. But this is not the thing to do because it is extremely hard. ANy questions please feel free to email me

• Rachael
11 years 10 months ago #5 by Rachael
Rachael replied the topic: Re:Planning
Well first off I wouldnt be missing out on much because I only have 2 best friends and they stand by me no matter what. And second of all my moyher will take care of it. But to let you know I have thought more about it and im going to wait until im older.<br><br>Post edited by: Julie, at: 2005/11/15 01:57

• HappyGrandma
11 years 10 months ago #6 by HappyGrandma
HappyGrandma replied the topic: Re:Planning
I personally think you should wait. Yes...having a baby is a beautiful thing but it is not all fun and games. I had my daughter at 27 years old (unplanned) and her father left when she was 2 months old. She had several medical problems when she was born and I was unable to work for 10 months. It was a constant struggle financially and emotionally. I was not for prepared for this at age 27. I think you should set back and take a look at why you want this so bad. I think it is great that so many of the girls here are making the right decision and keeping their babies. I would guess if you ask some of them, they would tell you if they had it to do over again they would wait awhile. Good luck with your decision.
Denise

Moderators: Dnash76sugMolly

standupgirl app

Translate Our Page

enes

StandUpGirl Login

Welcome to StandUpGirl